Delicious on it's own or covered in frosting, this moist and dense vanilla almond flour cake is super easy to make! This simple, yet classic dessert recipe is SCD, Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Cake! There's nothing quite like a classic vanilla cake and this one made with almond flour does NOT disappoint!
It is a moist, dense cake that's perfect on it's own or covered in delicious frosting!
A Life of Happenstance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Almond Flour Cake Ingredients
- blanched finely ground almond flour
- baking soda
- sea salt
- dairy free milk (I prefer canned coconut milk or homemade almond milk)
- vanilla extract
- fresh lemon juice
- coconut oil
Look at those clean ingredients! For the honey, I suggest one that's sweet and lighter in color.
How to make a vanilla almond flour cake
In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sea salt, and baking soda (photo 1). Set aside.
With the mixer still running, add the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated (photo 3). Then slowly add the almond flour mixture (photo 4).
Mix until just combined, don't over mix the batter (photo 5)!
Take a spatula and manually mix the batter once or twice, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl (the honey sometimes settles to the bottom and doesn't fully mix into the batter).
Pour the batter into a 9 inch round greased and parchment paper lined cake pan (photo 6).
Place on the middle rack in the oven and bake until lightly browned (a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean).
You're going to LOVE the way your house smells as this deliciousness is baking!
Allow the vanilla almond flour cake to cool for about 10 minutes before gently removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack.
Wait until the cake has cooled completely before slicing.
Vanilla Almond Flour Cake Tips:
- Make sure ALL the ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
- The coconut oil should be melted but NOT hot when added to the batter.
- If the sides of the cake begin browning too much, tent the cake with aluminum foil.
- The cake can be baked in two 6 inch cake pans for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Coconut flour CANNOT be used instead of almond flour for this recipe.
What about frosting?
The beauty of this cake is how good it is on it's own BUT if topping the cake with just fresh berries isn't gonna cut it for you, here are some yummy frosting recipes to try!
- A Honey Italian Meringue is a sweet and creamy topping for this cake (it's in the photo below).
- The strawberry frosting from my Strawberry Almond Flour Cake would be AMAZING!
- If you're a coconut fan, the coconut icing from my Coconut Cupcakes is perfect!
- You could also top the cake with a delightfully tart lemon curd!
This vanilla almond flour cake is delicious no matter how you decide to serve it! Enjoy!
Here are more almond flour cake recipes!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! It's the best way you can help support me and this blog!
Inspired by Ina Garten's Strawberry Country Cake.
Vanilla Almond Flour Cake
- large bowl
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 9 inch cake pan
- parchment paper
- 3 cups blanched finely ground almond flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup honey a mild, light colored honey is recommended
- ½ cup dairy free milk (canned coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc.)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted but NOT hot plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with coconut oil and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the almond flour, sea salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine honey, dairy free milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and coconut oil on low speed in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- With the mixer still running, add the eggs one at a time. Once the eggs are fully incorporated, slowly add the almond flour mixture to the bowl. Stop as needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl, but don't over mix the batter.
- Once the ingredients are just combined, take a spatula and manually mix the batter one or two times, making sure to scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and place on the middle rack in the oven.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes before gently turning out of the pan and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serve the cake plain, top with berries, or decorate with one of the frosting recipes mentioned in the post above!
- Store the cake covered in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- If the cake is browning too quickly, tent with aluminum foil.
- Cake can be made in two 6 inch cake pans instead.
- Reference post above for tips on how to make the cake.