This spinach mint smoothie is a creamy and healthy Shamrock Shake copycat. It's a delicious snack recipe that's SCD, Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Smoothies are such an easy and tasty way to sneak some extra veggies into your day. Plus, simple swaps allow you to taylor smoothie recipes to meet your needs.
With just six wholesome ingredients, this spinach mint smoothie tastes similar to McDonald's Shamrock Shakes but is so much better for you!
Coconut Milk - Canned coconut milk (Native Forest Simple is my go-to brand) brings extra creaminess to this smoothie along with a hint of coconut flavor. However, any nut milk can be used in the recipe.
Dates - The dates add natural sweetness to the smoothie along with some fiber but if you prefer to use honey, go for it!
Mint Leaves - Did you know that there are hundreds of different mint varieties? There's even a chocolate mint plant you can find at many nurseries! All this to say, the type of mint leaves used in this smoothie will affect the final flavor.
Do I have to use mint leaves?
No, peppermint extract can be used in place of fresh mint leaves.
Peppermint extract can be very potent and the strength varies greatly between brands.
Start by adding just ⅛ teaspoon to the smoothie and give a taste before adding more.
Begin by carefully cutting open the dates and removing the pit. Then place the dates in a small bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes. This allows the dates to soften which will make them easier to blend.
Pour the coconut milk into the blender along with the baby spinach, mint leaves, avocado, dates, and frozen banana.
Blend until smooth and you can no longer see small pieces of spinach or dates. Scrape down the sides of the jar as needed.
Add ice and blend. Take a taste and adjust flavors as needed.
If the smoothie is too thick, add more coconut milk or the water used to soak the dates (it will be sweet) until your desired consistency is reached.
This recipe makes one large spinach mint smoothie or two small servings. Hope you enjoy!
Be sure to try these other smoothie recipes!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel! SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Recipe inspired by McDonald's Shamrock Shake recipe.
Spinach Mint Smoothie
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken
- ½ cup packed baby spinach
- 10 mint leaves, or ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ Haas avocado
- 6 pitted and softened dates
- 1 small banana, frozen
- 1 cup ice
- Begin by removing the pits from the dates. Soak the dates in a small bowl of hot water for 10 minutes. Remove the dates from the water before placing them into the blender.
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender with the exception of the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container as needed.
- Add the ice and blend. Taste the smoothie and if needed, adjust the flavors to your liking.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add more coconut milk until your desired consistency is reached.
- Serve the smoothie cold and enjoy!
- Any nut milk can be used in place of coconut milk.
- Mint extract can be used in place of fresh mint leaves. Start with just ⅛ teaspoon of extract and increase to your taste.