These waffles use a combination of zucchini and yellow squash to make light, savory waffles that are a perfectly healthy addition to your breakfast or brunch. The waffles follow the SCD, Paleo, Whole30, and Keto diets. They’re gluten free, grain free, and dairy free.
Hi friends! Summer is now in full swing which means, zucchini and yellow squash are everywhere! For me, summer squash ranks right up there with cauliflower in terms of versatility. There’s SO much you can do with it. Add it to breads, muffins, I make a Zucchini Pizza Crust at least once a month, and this Crustless Zucchini Quiche is great for sneaking veggies into your morning or as a light lunch/dinner!
These summer squash waffles have been in rotation at my house the past few summers. I’ve been trying to increase my veggie consumption, so this recipe is great for that! I typically serve these waffles with some poached eggs, homemade breakfast sausage, and avocado. It makes for a powerhouse start to the day! You could easily double the recipe and throw some in the freezer for a quick weekday breakfast or snack too.
When it comes to this recipe you can use all yellow squash, all zucchini or a combo of the two. I’ve made the waffles using all those combinations and they all turned out delicious!
To begin, you’re going to shred two pounds worth of summer squash. I suggest placing your box grater on a thin kitchen or tea towel. The squash then gets sprinkled with sea salt and left alone for about 10 minutes. The salt is going to help draw out the liquid from the squash.
While the squash is doing it’s thing, you can grab a large bowl and beat together the eggs, almond flour and seasonings.
Now’s the fun part! Go back to your squash and wrap it up in the towel. You’re going to wring out as much of the water as possible. Then, you’re going to do it again and if you’re anything like me with joint pain in your fingers, you’re going to call your significant other or roommate over to squeeze it even more!
Place the shredded squash into the bowl with the almond flour mixture and use your hands to mix and squeeze it all together.
Place your waffle iron on medium heat and put about 1/2 cup worth of waffle mixture inside. I like to use the back of a measuring cup to help spread and press the mixture into the iron. Close the top and let it cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
Once it’s done you’ve got delicious, savory waffles to enjoy!
Leave a comment below if you enjoyed this recipe or have questions!
Savory Summer Squash Waffles
- 2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash (about 4)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 Tbsp parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place your box grater on a think kitchen towel and shred the squash. Sprinkle with sea salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, almond flour, and herbs.
- Fold the towel around the squash and squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Place the squash in the bowl with the almond flour mixture and use your hands to combine.
- Grease the waffle iron to the manufacturers specifications and preheat to medium. Place a heaping 1/2 cup of the squash mixture into the center of the waffle iron. Use the back of a measuring cup or spoon the gently spread and press the mixture into the iron.
- Close the lid and allow to cook for 7 to 10 minutes. The waffle will be a lovely golden brown color and cooked all the way through when done.
- Use a spatula to gently lift the waffle off the iron. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. Serve warm.
Pin it for later!