These oven roasted olives and garlic are marinated in a combination of olive oil and herbs for an easy and delicious snack or appetizer! The recipe is SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), Paleo, Whole30, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and soy free.
I'm a BIG fan of olives and love the olive bar at Whole Foods...what I don't love is the price!
Making your own marinated roasted olives is surprisingly easy and not quite as expensive!
These oven roasted olives with rosemary are SO flavorful and are a great little snack, appetizer, or charcuterie board addition!
which olives are best for roasting
When choosing olives I like to stick to pitted olives so that there's no need for guests (or me) to spit out the seeds.
Also, plain green and/or black olives that are mild in flavor are best for this particular marinade. It will allow the flavors of the herbs and oil to really shine through.
The size of the olives is totally up to you! I tend to lean toward large but you choose whatever size you want. A mixture of sizes might be nice as well!
how to cook olives
This recipe is so simple. Like, super simple. All you do is pour a mixture of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and salt over the olives and a few garlic cloves.
Place the olives into the oven to roast for fifteen to twenty minutes, turning them about halfway through roasting.
The olives are done roasting once they're a bit shriveled, bubbly, and the garlic cloves are lightly browned.
I prefer this dish to be served hot, straight from the oven but it's delicious at room temperature too.
Note: When storing leftovers in the refrigerator, the olive oil will harden. Place the olives back into the oven at 350F just until warmed.
What do I serve with oven roasted olives?
Here are more snack and appetizer recipes you'll enjoy!
If you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and this blog.
Did you know I have a YouTube channel? SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Recipe inspired by Oak & Ola's Oven-Roasted European Olives.
Oven Roasted Olives
- 12 ounces pitted olives, drained (see notes below for more details)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place the drained olives and garlic cloves in a single layer in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and salt. Pour the mixture over the olives and use your hands to make sure each olive is coated in the marinade.
- Place the baking dish into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, making sure to stir and flip the olives halfway through cook time.
- The dish is done when the garlic cloves are lightly browned and the olives are bubbly and a bit shriveled.
- Serve straight from the oven or allow to cool to room temperature.
- Choose mild green or black olives (a mixture of the two is my favorite). I lean towards medium sized olives but choose whichever size you'd like.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The oil in the dish will harden when cold. To reheat, place back into the oven at 350F just until warmed.