This roasted beetroot sauce is creamy with a slightly earthy flavor! It’s an easy pasta sauce that packs in the veggies and uses just seven whole food ingredients. The recipe is SCD, Paleo, Vegetarian, Vegan, and Whole30 friendly. It’s gluten free, soy free, and dairy free.
Hi friends! Years ago, my husband and I had dinner at an eclectic little restaurant here in Tampa called Ella’s Americana Folk Art Cafe. The food was beyond amazing and I had a pasta dish that was served with the most delicious beetroot pasta sauce.
The sauce was made with cream, beets, and I can’t remember what else but I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it now do to my dietary restrictions.
So, I set out to make a dairy free version and oh my, it’s GOOD! It has a slightly earthy flavor while the addition of cauliflower adds a wonderful creaminess. And that color, is it not gorgeous?!
Roasted Beetroot Sauce Ingredients
- head of cauliflower
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- olive oil
Two big tips when working with beets!
Beets have such a gorgeous color, but that color can stain everything if you’re not careful! Seriously, your knives, cutting board, and hands will look like you’ve just done open heart surgery!
Here are a couple tips for an easier clean up…
- Wear gloves! This will keep your hands stain free.
- Use a glass or plastic cutting board. The clean-up will be quick and you’ll save yourself from trying to scrub the pink color out of your wood cutting board.
How to make roasted beetroot sauce
Scrub the beets clean, then peel, and cut into equal sized pieces before spreading on a baking sheet.
Cut the florets off the head of cauliflower and spread them onto the same baking sheet. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and roast them until tender.
Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
Add the beets, cauliflower, onion, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt to a blender. With the blender running, add water until the sauce is your desired consistency.
This is such a simple pasta sauce that’s packed with veggies and perfect for those that might have an issue with nightshades.
Serve this roasted beetroot sauce over spiralized zucchini (zoodles!) or spaghetti squash for a healthy meal! Hope you enjoy!
You might also like these recipes!
- Zucchini Cannelloni with a Butternut Squash Filling
- Noodles-less Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Seared Scallops with Parmesan Cauliflower Risotto
Leave a comment and star rating below if you made this recipe!
Roasted Beetroot Sauce
- 1/2 lb beets
- 1 small head of cauliflower (about 1 pound)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub, peel, and cut the beets into 1/2″ pieces before spreading them on the baking sheet. Cut the florets off the cauliflower and spread on the same baking sheet as the beets. Drizzle with two tablespoons of olive oil and roast for 20 to 30 minutes until tender.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute the onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Place the cauliflower,beets, onion, garlic, lemon juice, and salt into a blender and process, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. With the blender running on low speed, add the water until the sauce is at your preferred consistency.
- If needed, you can reheat the roasted beetroot sauce on the stove top. Ladle the sauce over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash and enjoy.
- Store the beetroot sauce in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.