With less than five ingredients, this homemade pear sauce recipe makes for an easy and tasty snack! This simple recipe is SCD, Paleo, Whole30, Vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and added sugar free.
If you're a regular reader than you probably know by now that I have ulcerative colitis, which is an autoimmune disease that targets the intestinal lining of the stomach.
I tend to get flare ups of my disease which includes EXTREMELY painful stomach cramping, making it difficult to eat.
During these flare ups I revert back to my "safe foods" and my favorite of those foods is this homemade pear sauce recipe!
Not only is it super simple to make but it's easy on my gut too. I actually like it WAY better than applesauce!
- PEARS (I gravitate toward Bartlett pears but any kind will work)
- GROUND CINNAMON
- LEMON JUICE (freshly squeezed is best)
Peel, core, and chop the pears. Place the chopped pears in a saucepan over medium heat along with the water, ground cinnamon, and lemon juice.
Bring the mixture to a boil before dropping the heat to low. Simmer until the pears are soft and mushy.
For a chunky sauce use the back of a fork to mash the pears to your desired consistency.
If you prefer a smooth sauce then blend in a blender.
Enjoy this simple snack warm or cold!
- I find the pear sauce sweet enough on its own but give a taste test and add a touch of honey if you'd like it sweeter.
- Store the pear sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- If using this recipe for my Upside-Down Paleo Pear Cake, omit the cinnamon and be sure to blend the sauce in the blender.
What to do with pear sauce
Pear sauce is absolutely delicious on its own, however, it can also be swirled into yogurt, spooned over pork, or served on top of pancakes.
Try these other delicious pear recipes!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel! SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Homemade Pear Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ripe pears peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the pears are soft and mushy.
- Mash the pears with the back of a fork until your desired consistency is reached or blend in a blender.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container for 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- If the sauce isn't sweet enough for your liking, add a touch of honey.
- If using this recipe in my Upside-Down Paleo Pear Cake, omit the cinnamon and blend the sauce in the blender.