Paleo pumpkin oatmeal is a simple and hearty breakfast that uses butternut squash rice in place of oats! This SCD recipe is filled with warm, autumn flavors and it is free of gluten, grains, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar.
Fall is here, which means I am ALL ABOUT a hot bowl of grain free oatmeal in the morning! A few months ago I posted my recipe for a No Oats Cauliflower Oatmeal and it is amazingly good! That recipe turned out so delicious that I knew a seasonal version with pumpkin was a must!
This paleo pumpkin oatmeal is chock full of pumpkin pie flavors AND it uses an unexpected ingredient as a substitute for oats...butternut squash! Yep! For this recipe, I turned the seasonal fav into "rice" to mimic the texture of oats!
How to turn butternut squash into rice
Peel a butternut squash before chopping it into 1 inch cubes. Place the squash in a blender or food processor and pulse until it's the size of traditional rice. Go HERE for a step by step tutorial!
Alternatively, you can purchase a bag of frozen butternut squash rice from your local grocery store.
What ingredients are needed to make pumpkin oatmeal?
- butternut squash rice (you could also use cauliflower rice)
- pumpkin puree
- canned coconut milk or almond milk
- ground ginger
- sea salt
- almond butter (optional)
How to make no oats pumpkin oatmeal
Heat the butternut squash rice in a small sauce pan.
Stir in the milk, pumpkin, and spices. Allow the oatmeal to simmer until it has thickened to your desired consistency and the butternut squash is tender.
Top the oatmeal with chopped nuts, sauteed apples, fresh fruit, coconut flakes...anything your heart desires!
Breakfast doesn't get any simpler than that! Hope you enjoy!
Need more breakfast ideas?
- No Oats Cauliflower Oatmeal
- Spiced Waffles With Apple Compote
- Make Ahead Turkey and Egg Casserole
- Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
Paleo Pumpkin Oatmeal
- 1 cup butternut squash rice
- ½ cup dairy free milk (coconut milk, almond milk, etc. )
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (optional)
- Soften the butternut squash rice in a small saucepan over medium medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan and allow to cook for 2 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Once the mixture begins to bubble, drop the heat to low. Keep the saucepan over the heat until the oatmeal has thickened to your desired consistency (I normally keep the oatmeal over the heat for another 8 to 10 minutes).
- Scoop the oatmeal into bowls and garnish with the toppings of your choosing.
- The photos and content above are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos. Please do not copy this recipe and share it on your own website or social media channels. If you wish to tell people about this recipe, you can provide a link back to my blog rather than copying the recipe. Thank you! XO, Jen