This oregano lemon chicken is a delicious, flavorful, and healthy dinner recipe that’s perfect anytime of the year! It’s a simple main meal that follows Paleo, Whole30, and SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). It’s also gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, and egg free.
Oh chicken, how I simultaneously love and despise you! It’s such a great dinner stand-by but let’s be honest, it can also get boring! Which is why any new chicken recipe is always welcome in my house!
For this recipe, the chicken is marinated in a delicious mixture of olive oil, lemon, herbs, and spices before being cooked to juicy perfection!
If using fresh oregano, thyme, or basil, double the amount called for in the recipe.
The optional red pepper flakes add a tiny amount of heat to the chicken. If you’d like the chicken to be spicier add a bit more.
What cut of chicken is best?
Since the meat, and not the skin, absorbs the marinade, I suggest either skinless chicken breast or skinless chicken thighs.
How long does the chicken need to marinate?
The chicken needs to marinate covered, in the refrigerator for a maximum of two hours!
Marinating chicken in lemon juice for longer than two hours will cause the meat to start breaking down and give the chicken an odd texture once cooked. So set your timer!
What to serve with oregano lemon chicken?
An array of steamed or roasted veggies is perfect with this chicken. You could even slice up the chicken and serve it over a large green salad. Here are some of my favorite sides with this dish!
Here are more simple and healthy dinner ideas!
- Baked Chicken Bruschetta
- Turmeric Meatloaf Cupcakes
- Seared Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Mint Salsa
- Zucchini Cannelloni with a Butternut Squash Filling
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel?! SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Oregano Lemon Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts (should be about 1 pound)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl before adding the chicken. Use your hands or tongs to ensure each piece of chicken is covered in the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the chicken in a baking dish and pour any remaining marinade on top.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 35 minutes until the thickest part of the chicken has reached an internal temp of 165F and is no longer pink. The exact cook time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken. (Mine took 25 minutes.)
- Remove from the oven and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Skinless chicken breast or skinless chicken thighs will work best for this recipe.
- If you’d like the marinade to have more heat, increase the red pepper flakes.
- Do not marinate the chicken longer than 2 hours or the lemon juice will start to breakdown the meat and it will have an odd texture once cooked.
- The chicken can be grilled instead of baked.