A healthy and refreshing no bake strawberry pie is JUST the sweet treat you need! This easy strawberry pie uses fresh, wholesome ingredients that everyone will love! The recipe is SCD and Paleo friendly. It’s gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free, and refined sugar free!
Hi friends! To say I’m excited to share this easy and healthy dessert with you would be an understatement! Here in Florida the strawberry season starts early, like right now, so I wanted to make a pie using those delicious berries and add some gut healing gelatin into the mix!
What is gelatin?
Gelatin is a powder that’s derived from animal bones, skin, and connective tissue. It’s excellent for healing your gut as well as strengthening bones and fingernails!
When cooking, gelatin helps firm things up! It has no taste or smell, so it’s perfect to use when thickening sauces or making desserts!
For this recipe you want to use unflavored gelatin, I recommend either the Great Lakes or Vital Proteins brands.
How to make a healthy pie crust
For this crust I used hazelnut meal. It’s a fairly strong nut flavor that I happen to enjoy and it pairs nicely with strawberries. However, almond meal, pecan or even walnut meal would all make great substitutions.
Mix the nut meal with melted coconut oil, a little honey, and a squeeze of lemon before using your fingers to evenly press the dough into the bottom of a spring form pan. For individual servings, you could use ramekins or decorative glasses.
Place the crust in the refrigerator to firm up while you work on the filling.
Ingredients for a no bake strawberry pie filling
- coconut milk
- fresh strawberries
- vanilla extract
- fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
Look at those ingredients! Delicious, healthy, and simple…does it get much better?!
How to make the strawberry filling
Begin by pouring 1 cup of cold full fat canned coconut milk into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow the gelatin to “bloom” (swell and soften) for at least 5 minutes.
While the gelatin is doing its thing, put the rest of the ingredients into the blender.
If you’d like a smooth filling, then put all the strawberries into the blender. If you’d like to see some of the strawberries in your finished product, then finely dice a cups worth of strawberries and set aside. You’ll stir these into the mix just before placing the pie in the refrigerator to set.
Blend the mixture until smooth. Dissolve the gelatin over low-medium heat. Once the gelatin has completely dissolved and the coconut milk is warm, slowly pour it into the blender and continue blending until it’s well combined.
At this point, you can stir the diced strawberries into the filling and then pour the whole mixture into your pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until it sets.
The sweetness of this pie really depends on how ripe your strawberries are. The riper the berries, the sweeter the pie!
If the berries you choose aren’t very sweet, you may want to consider adding a bit more honey to the filling.
Garnish the pie with strawberries and enjoy!
Looking for more strawberry goodness?
- Seared Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Mint Salsa
- Paleo Lemon Tart
- Strawberry Almond Flour Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
No Bake Strawberry Pie
- 2 cups hazelnut meal
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cold canned coconut milk (shaken)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp gelatin
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, washed with stems cut off
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of sea salt
- Place all ingredients for the crust in a small bowl and use a spoon or fork to combine.
- Use your fingers to evenly press the dough into the bottom of a 9" spring form pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator for at at least 15 minutes to firm up.
- Pour 1 cup of coconut milk into a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Set aside and allow it to "bloom".
- Finely dice 5 or 6 strawberries, should be about 1 cup of diced strawberries, and set aside. Reserve a few strawberries to use as a garnish.
- Put the remaining strawberries in a blender along with the honey, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Set the saucepan with the gelatin over low-medium heat and whisk until the gelatin has dissolved and the milk is warmed. Slowly add the coconut milk to the blender with the filling. Blend until well combined.
- Stir in the diced strawberries. Pour the filling into the spring form pan with the crust. Cover pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until the filling has set. The pie is ready when the filling doesn't jiggle.
- Run a sharp, thin knife between the pie filling and pan to loosen the edges before removing the ring of the spring form pan.
- Garnish with strawberries and serve cold. Keep covered in the refrigerator.