This mild, low carb piri piri chicken recipe is FULL of incredible flavor without the heat that comes from traditional piri piri sauce. The wings are cooked in the pressure cooker then finished under the broiler to create a crispy wing that falls right off the bone. This easy chicken wings recipe is naturally gluten free, grain free, added sugar free, and dairy free. It follows the SCD, paleo, whole30, and keto diets.
A Life of Happenstance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com This means if you purchase an item through a link on my blog I receive a small commission. This does NOT increase the price you pay but it does help offset the cost of keeping this site running. Thank you for your support!
Hi friends! With football season officially upon us, I thought an easy chicken wings recipe was a must! While I’m not a big football fan, my husband is and these wings are perfect for snacking on!
I used my Instant Pot to make these little guys and let me tell you, the meat comes out SO tender and moist! They’re finished off under the broiler to crisp up the skin…incredibly simple and good!
First things first though, a lot of you might be wondering…
What is chicken piri piri?
Piri piri sauce is a flavorful marinade that originated in Africa and Portugal. The sauce is typically used to marinate meat, specifically chicken.
Is piri piri spicy?
Yes, piri piri sauce is traditionally very spicy!
I’ve always LOVED this sauce but since my system can no longer handle spicy, and I’m also feeding this to two toddlers, I’ve cut the spice down by quite a bit. The end result is a great mild sauce that has tons of flavor without a lot of the heat!
How do you make piri piri sauce?
This simple marinade recipe is a combo of lemon juice, olive oil, white vinegar, fresh ginger, herbs and spices. All of the ingredients get mixed together before adding the wings.
For the chicken, I like to use wingettes and drumettes (chicken wings that are cut apart at the joint) for this recipe simply because I find them easier to handle. However, full chicken wings can also be used.
The wings are marinated in the piri piri sauce for at least four hours prior to cooking. This step is really important. I’ve made the wings before without letting them marinate and there was no comparison on flavor!
The chicken and sauce are then dumped into your instant pot and pressure cooked for ten minutes before using the quick release method.
Finally, the wings are transferred to a parchment lined baking sheet and placed under the broiler for about five minutes on each side just to crisp up the skin a bit.
While the chicken is in the oven, set the Instant Pot to saute and allow the sauce to reduce. You’ll brush some of this reduced sauce on the chicken wings after they come out of the oven!
These piri piri chicken wings turn out tender and moist on the inside with a slight crisp on the outside. The sauce has great depth of flavor with a subtle spiciness! Hope you enjoy!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
More snacks and appetizers you may enjoy:
- Broccoli Dip (Broccomole)
- Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Rosemary Infused Cranberry Brie Tartlets
- Almond Flour Crackers
Instant Pot Piri Piri Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wingettes and drumettes
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper add more if you like the sauce spicy
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder add more if you like the sauce spicy
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, ginger, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, and salt in the bowl of the instant pot. Set 1/4 cup of the sauce aside.
- Add the minced garlic, onion, and chicken to the bowl. Mix until the chicken is covered in the piri piri sauce. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Place the Instant Pot bowl inside the Instant Pot. Secure the lid and make sure the vent is closed.
- Press the button for pressure cook and set the time for 12 minutes. Use the quick release method of releasing the pressure.
- Set the oven to broil. Transfer the chicken to a parchment lined baking sheet. Broil the chicken until the skin is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Brush the wings with the reserved sauce and serve hot.