This homemade mild taco seasoning is easy to make and perfect for adding to ground beef, chicken, or fish! The recipe is SCD, Paleo, Whole30, vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free.
Homemade taco seasoning is leaps and bounds better than any taco mix packet from a store shelf! Have you ever read the ingredients on the back of one of those little packets? The amount of preservatives, additives, and sodium is eye opening.
This homemade mild taco seasoning recipe is quick to make and uses spices you probably already have in your pantry!
Ensure your spices don’t have any added preservatives. My herbs and spices are a mostly the Simply Organic brand.
Can I adjust the spiciness?
Absolutely! This taco seasoning is already pretty mild but if you want no heat at all, then decrease the chili powder and eliminate the cayenne pepper.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you’d like a spicier taco mix, then increase the cayenne pepper.
How do I store the homemade mild taco seasoning?
This recipe makes 1/4 cup of seasoning and I suggest storing it in air tight container in the pantry.
I store all of my homemade seasonings in mason jars that I’ve labeled with the name of the mixture as well as the date it was made.
How should I use this mild taco seasoning recipe?
Use 1/4 cup of this taco seasoning for every 1 pound of browned ground beef along with 1 cup of water. Allow the beef to simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Use the beef in tacos, burritos, taco salad, or taco bowls!
You can also sprinkle the mix on chicken or fish before cooking!
Try these if you’re looking for more Hispanic inspired food!
- Homemade Refried Black Beans
- Cuban Flan
- Cuban Ropa Vieja (slow cooker & Instant Pot option)
- Hearty Mexican Chicken Soup
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel! SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Transfer to an air tight container and store in the pantry.
- If using this mix to season ground beef, I suggest using 1/4 cup of seasoning per pound of ground beef. Begin by browning the beef before stirring in the taco seasoning and 1 cup of water. Simmer until all of the water has evaporated.
- If using this mix on fish or chicken, sprinkle the raw meat with the taco seasoning and cook as desired.
- If you’d like to decrease the spiciness (it’s already pretty mild), then use just 1/2 Tablespoon of chili powder and eliminate the cayenne pepper.
- Increase the cayenne pepper to your taste if you’d like the seasoning to be spicier.