This homemade spaghetti sauce with ground beef is incredibly thick, rich, and comforting! With only ten simple ingredients you have a meat sauce that's better than anything you could buy bottled in the store! Serve over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash for a deliciously filling (and low carb) meal! This recipe follows the SCD, Paleo, Whole30, and Keto diets. It's gluten free, grain free, soy free, and dairy free.
Hi friends! I feel like having an easy spaghetti sauce with ground beef recipe is a must in every household! This recipe is great to pull out when having company over for dinner or even as a quick meal for your family during the week.
The meat sauce is SO rich and hearty...the perfect comfort food, especially once the weather starts to cool down!
WHAT KIND OF MEAT DO YOU USE WHEN MAKING MEAT SAUCE?
That's really up to you! I typically stick with ground beef simply because I ALWAYS have it in my freezer! However, I've made this before using half ground beef and half ground sausage...it was just as good and added another layer of flavor to the dish. You could even use ground chicken or ground turkey if you prefer, the sauce will turn out delicious either way!
DO YOU HAVE TO USE FRESH TOMATOES FOR THIS MEAT SAUCE?
The short answer...no! Prior to having kids it would not be unusual to find me in the kitchen for hours on end making spaghetti sauce from scratch with fresh tomatoes! It's a pretty labor intensive process and I just don't have that kind of time anymore (if anyone wants a recipe for it though, just leave me a comment below and I'll work on writing up my recipe for you)!
Although, just because we're using canned, doesn't mean any tomatoes will do! When purchasing your strained and crushed tomatoes, look at the back to make sure the ONLY ingredient listed is tomatoes!
A Life of Happenstance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
HOW DO YOU MAKE MEAT SAUCE?
Italian meat sauce is really quite simple to make. The meat gets browned in a large saucepan or pot before adding onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
The herbs are added last and then the whole delicious pot of meat sauce is simmered for at least an hour. This will help bring out all the tasty flavors of the veggies and herbs!
Easy peasy right?!
PRO TIP: Make a double batch of this Italian meat sauce and freeze it for easy mid-week dinners and lunches!
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH MEAT SAUCE?
I LOVE serving this sauce over sauteed zucchini noodles (zoodles) or spaghetti squash! I also use this sauce in my Noodle-less Butternut Squash Lasagna which is seriously AMAZING!
Hope you enjoy!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
Homemade Italian Meat Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes (I use POMI brand)
- 1 cup strained tomatoes (I use POMI brand)
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Melt the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Brown the ground beef, breaking it into small chunks as it cooks.
- Once the meat is browned, drain any grease from the pot.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, allowing it to took for 2 to 3 minutes before pouring in the strained tomatoes and crushed tomatoes.
- Add the basil, oregano, thyme, and salt. Stir well. Drop the heat to low and allow to simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Take a taste test and adjust flavors as needed. Serve hot over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Pint it for later!