Homemade coconut butter is a pantry staple that uses just one ingredient and takes only fifteen minutes to make! It’s an easy and inexpensive way to enjoy this decadent treat. This coconut butter recipe is SCD, Paleo, Whole30, vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, and free of added sugar!
If you’re a coconut fan then this homemade coconut butter recipe is a must! The coconut butter is smooth, creamy, and full of mouthwatering coconutty (That’s a word, right?!) flavor!
What is coconut butter?
Coconut butter is the soft flesh of a coconut that’s been ground into a spreadable paste.
Texture wise coconut butter is similar to almond butter, peanut butter, and other nut and seed butters.
When warmed, coconut butter is smooth and creamy. When left at room temperature or chilled, the coconut butter will be solid.
A Life of Happenstance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
How to soften coconut butter
If your coconut butter has hardened you can place the sealed jar into a bowl filled with hot water (not boiling water!) to soften.
You can also place the unsealed jar into the microwave at 20 second intervals until softened. Use caution with this method as it’s very easy to scorch the coconut butter.
How to make homemade coconut butter
All that’s needed for homemade coconut butter is a bag of unsweetened shredded coconut and a high quality food processor.
Simply place the unsweetened shredded coconut into the food processor and process on high speed until the shredded coconut has turned smooth and creamy.
Depending on the power of your appliance, this should take anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes, stopping as needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Don’t use less than 12 ounces of shredded coconut or the appliance will have a hard time processing. If you have a very large food processor, you may need 16 ounces or more of shredded coconut.
- I’ve had success turning unsweetened shredded coconut into coconut butter with the following brands; Let’s Do Organic and Bob’s Red Mill
storing homemade coconut butter
Store your homemade coconut butter in a glass jar with a lid.
It can be kept in the pantry for two weeks or in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Recipes using coconut butter
- Coconut Truffles
- Lemon Cake with Lemon Coconut Frosting
- Coconut Peppermint Fudge
- Vanilla Cake Pops Recipe
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below, this is the best way you can help support me and my website!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel to watch all of my videos!
Homemade Coconut Butter
- food processor
- 12 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place the unsweetened shredded coconut into the food processor bowl and process on high speed for 10 to 15 minutes until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid for 2 weeks in the pantry or 1 month in the refrigerator.
- If you have a large food processor, you may need to use a minimum of 16 ounces of unsweetened shredded coconut.
- The coconut butter will harden at room temperature or when chilled. To soften, place the sealed jar of butter in a bowl filled with hot (not boiling) water.
- You can also take the lid off the jar and place in the microwave at 10 to 20 second intervals until softened. Be careful not to scorch the coconut butter!