Homemade Paleo BBQ sauce is an easy kitchen staple that’s perfect for your grilled, roasted, or baked protein! The sauce has a tasty balance of sweet, smokey, and tangy; and can be adjusted to fit your personal taste! This recipe follows the SCD diet and is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, and refined sugar free.
BBQ sauce, what can I say? Slather this sauce on beef, pork, or chicken that you’re grilling, roasting, baking, slow cooking…doesn’t matter, it’s DELICIOUS and kid approved!
I’ve been tweaking this recipe for the past three years and finally got it JUST right! The sauce isn’t as sweet as the store bought kind and it has just the right amount of tang and smokiness. One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility!
Do you prefer a sweeter BBQ sauce? Increase the honey! Do you like your BBQ sauce to be a bit tangier? Add a touch more apple cider vinegar! Want it to taste like you’re swallowing a campfire? Sprinkle a bit more smoked sea salt in the pot!
Are there any special ingredients in this homemade Paleo BBQ sauce recipe?
Yes! The smokiness in this sauce is due in large part to the addition of applewood smoked sea salt.
I purchased the smoked sea salt through Amazon, however I have noticed it at my local Whole Foods as well.
If you already have a smoked sea salt (there are so many different kinds) in your pantry, feel free to try it in this recipe and adjust the other flavors as needed.
How do you make BBQ sauce from scratch?
This is such a simple recipe! Just place all of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil before dropping the heat to low and allowing it to simmer for an hour with the pot partially covered.
If you prefer a super thick homemade BBQ sauce, then simmer longer. Just keep in mind that as the sauce cools it will thicken up even more!
What can you do with BBQ sauce?
Oh my, SO MANY yummy things! Brush it on any baked, roasted, and grilled protein. Mix it with pulled pork or pulled chicken. Use it for ribs or steak. Eat it with eggs in the morning. Use it on a BBQ chicken pizza. Put it on hamburgers. Use it to make meatloaf. My kids love dipping their meat AND veggies in it! Seriously, lots of options!
Here are more easy sauces you’ll love!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel! SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Homemade Paleo BBQ Sauce
- 26 ounces strained tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (if following the SCD diet, you might want to strain out The Mother)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons applewood smoked sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat to low and use a lid to partially cover the top. Allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the BBQ sauce from the heat and pour into glass jars and allowing to cool.
- Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months.
- If you prefer an even thicker sauce, simmer an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- This sauce has a mild sweetness, increase the honey to your liking if you prefer a sweeter BBQ sauce.
- Any type of smoked sea salt will work in this recipe although the flavor will be a tad different then the original.
- POMI Strained Tomatoes is what I use to make this recipe.