Hi friends! Today I'm sharing with you an appetizer that I've been making for years. It uses only five ingredients and in 20 minutes (this is including prep and baking time!) you have warm, mini sweet peppers that are oozing cheesy and bacon deliciousness! These are a great little appetizer to serve at a party or even just to snack on while binge watching your favorite shows on Netflix.
In case you missed it in the title, this recipe uses bacon! Yummy bacon gives the cheese a lovely smoky flavor. The key here is to get your bacon super crispy. I put mine on a plate lined with paper towels then put another paper towel on top of the bacon. Pop into the microwave and in a few minutes I have crispy bacon. Once it's cool enough to handle, you're going to crumble the bacon into little pieces and set aside.
While the bacon is cooking, you shred some cheddar cheese then mix it with fresh basil and dry curd cottage cheese, also known as farmers cheese. Prior to starting the specific carbohydrate diet, I would make these using goat cheese and it always turned out fabulous! If you're not following the diet, then feel free to use goat cheese (it's sooooooooo good and I miss being able to eat it). Mix in your crumbled bacon and your filling is ready to go.
On to the mini sweet peppers now! After giving them a quick rinse, you're going to them length wise and remove any little seeds. Take a small spoon and fill each pepper with the cheese mixture, I tend to overfill mine because I like loads of cheese. Arrange the peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven.
You can place the peppers either on the top rack of the oven or on the middle. The top rack will give the tops of your peppers a nice brown color but some of the cheese will more then likely run out and onto the pan. Putting the peppers on the middle rack really won't brown them very much, but all that cheesy goodness will stay right where it's supposed to!
Hope you enjoy!
Herbed Cheese & Bacon Filled Mini Peppers
- 10 mini sweet peppers
- 8 ounces dry curd cottage cheese (farmers cheese), if not following SCD feel free to use goat cheese
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 pieces bacon, crispy
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Line a microwave safe plate with paper towels. Place four pieces of uncooked bacon on the paper towels. Place one sheet of paper towels on top of the bacon. Cook in microwave for 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy. Break the bacon into small pieces.
- While the bacon cooks, cut the mini bell peppers length wise and remove the seeds. Shred the cheddar cheese. Chop the fresh basil.
- Combine the cheddar cheese, dry curd cottage cheese (farmers cheese), basil and bacon in small bowl. Fill the peppers with the cheese mixture and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the peppers are cooked and cheese is melted. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Pin it for later!
Leave a comment below if you enjoyed this recipe or have questions!
Follow me on instagram & tag @alifeofhappenstance so I can see your creations!