This heirloom tomato salad recipe is an easy summer side dish. It's light, refreshing, and SCD, Paleo, and Whole30. It's also gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, and added sugar free.
Is there anything better during these hot summer nights than a side dish you don't have to cook? I don't think so! This simple and healthy side dish really allows the flavors of the tomatoes to shine through...plus it looks so pretty!
What are heirloom tomatoes?
Heirloom tomatoes are those oddly shaped and colorful tomatoes that seem to pop up in grocery stores and farmers markets in late July through August.
They are grown from seeds passed down season after season and are typically grown without the use of pesticides or forced pollination. This yields a smaller crop which unfortunately means a higher price tag.
In my opinion, that higher price tag is totally worth it for a dish like this where the tomatoes are clearly the star! Unlike the majority of red supermarket tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes are juicy and FULL of flavor.
Which heirloom tomatoes to choose?
There are many different types of heirloom tomatoes and each has its own unique flavor profile, which can be a bit daunting when trying to choose the best ones.
Dorothy from Farm To Jar has a wonderful, comprehensive list of the different heirloom tomatoes and the flavors of each if you're looking to really narrow down your choices!
I typically choose a variety of different colors and shapes...I've never met an heirloom tomato I didn't like!
What else can I add to the heirloom tomato salad?
I like to keep this salad simple and rustic which really allows the flavors of the tomatoes to shine through.
However, if you want to jazz up the salad, you can consider adding a little dried oregano and/or thyme to the dried basil.
You can also mix a touch of balsamic vinegar with the olive oil to drizzle over the tomatoes!
If you eat dairy, a little sprinkle of Gorgonzola or blue cheese will add a bit of creaminess along with a deeper flavor profile.
So many delicious options!
What can I serve with the heirloom tomato salad?
I love this salad alongside a piece of grilled chicken or fish. It also makes for a perfect light lunch or dinner when served with my Crustless Zucchini Quiche !
The heirloom tomato salad will be delicious no matter what! Hope you enjoy!
More easy summer side dishes!
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice with Pineapple
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh
- Butternut Squash Rice
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
If you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Follow me on facebook and instagram . Tag @alifeofhappenstance and #alifeofhappenstance so I can see your yummy creations!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel?! SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes (about 4 or 5 large tomatoes)
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges (can be as thick or thin as you'd like) and place in a large bowl along with the red onion, olive oil, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss all the ingredients making sure the oil and seasonings are on all of the tomatoes.
- Spread the salad out on a serving platter before garnishing with fresh basil leaves.
- Leftovers can be kept for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Choose a variety of heirloom tomatoes for a more visually appealing salad along with a more complex flavor profile.
Leave a Comment!