A healthy and easy soup filled with chicken, peppers and tomatoes. It has the flavors you’d expect from a Mexican meal and it’s sure to fill you up! The recipe is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and follows the SCD diet. It can easily be made Paleo or Whole30 by removing the black beans.
Hi friends! I don’t know about you but I love, love, love Mexican food! I like the freshness of the ingredients, how quick it is to make and the diversity of it. I typically make lots of taco bowls at my house but with the arrival of cooler weather, I’ve been craving a comforting and satisfying soup.
This soup is a lovely combination of peppers, tomatoes, black beans, chicken and spices.
In this soup, the black beans are optional. I like to add them because it adds extra protein and suprisingly enough, my toddlers enjoy them. You can omit them to make this soup both paleo and whole30 compliant. If you’re following the SCD diet, keep in mind that black beans are a somewhat advanced food and should only be tried when your free of symptoms. The most important thing to keep in mind when preparing black beans is the need to soak them! It helps you digest them easier and they cook faster.
I soak my beans in water for 24 hours and change the water once during the soaking time. Then I drain the water and give the beans a good rinsing with fresh water. It’s so easy to do but you have to remember to soak them ahead of time. I typically set a reminder on my phone to soak the black beans when I know I’m going to be making this soup.
A Life of Happenstance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
You’re going to boil the chicken in hot water and once cooked, take two forks and shred them. I make a whole roast chicken Every.Single.Week. and this recipe is great for using up any leftover chicken! While waiting for the chicken to cook, go ahead and chop your bell peppers, red onion, garlic and cilantro.
The onions and garlic are added to a large pot and sauteed before adding the peppers and chopped tomatoes. You can go two ways when it comes to the tomatoes. You can either chop fresh tomatoes or use canned chopped tomatoes. I tend to make a lot of things from scratch because of my dietary needs, so when I’m able to take a short cut like using canned chopped tomatoes, I usually do it! If you go the store bought route, just check that the only ingredient listed is tomatoes. My favorite brand to use is POMI. I use their chopped tomatoes and strained tomatoes regularly.
After adding the shredded chicken, black beans and strained tomatoes to the pot, it’s time to add the chicken stock. I’ve yet to come across a store bought chicken stock that follows the strict guidelines of the SCD, so you’re going to want to use your own homemade chicken stock if following the diet.
I don’t like my food to be spicy, if you do then just add some extra paprika when adding the herbs and spices! The soup is going to simmer on your stove top for about an hour and fill your house with the most amazing aroma!
After serving my soup I like to squeeze some lime juice on and top with avocado and cilantro. I prefer this soup dairy free, but feel free to sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese in your bowl or top with a dollop of yogurt.
Hope you enjoy!
Here are more comforting soup recipes!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
Hearty Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
- 2 cups black beans (optional)
- 1 pound chicken breasts or leftover roasted chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 26 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 26 ounces strained tomatoes (tomato sauce)
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- limes for serving (optional)
- avocado for serving & garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Place black beans in a large bowl and fill with 8 cups of water to soak. At around the 12 hour mark, change the water and allow to soak for another 12 hours. Soak the beans for 24 hours total, then drain and rinse. Set aside.
- (If using leftovers from a roasted chicken, skip over this step) Place chicken breasts in a medium pot and fill with enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 170F and is no longer pink. Should take 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts.
- Remove breasts and use two forks to shred the chicken. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add red onion and garlic. Saute until soft and translucent.
- Add the green, red and yellow bell peppers. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add the shredded chicken, black beans, chicken stock and strained tomatoes to the pot.
- Sprinkle the cumin, paprika, salt and oregano into the pot. Stir well to combine. Drop heat to low and cover pot with a lid. Allow to simmer for 60 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro and avocado. Squeeze a little lime juice into each bowl and serve warm.
Pin it for later!