Grinch green pancakes are a healthy and kid friendly breakfast. These almond flour pancakes get their green color from a sneaky serving of spinach and are topped with a strawberry heart. They follow the SCD and paleo diets. They're gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Hi friends! A few weeks ago we took the kids to see The Grinch (it was super cute by the way), and they are now obsessed with all things Grinch!
I've already made them Grinch ice cream, which you can find HERE, and they LOVED it!
Then an IHOP commercial for Grinch green pancakes began making the rounds on TV and I'm not gonna lie, they look amazing. I did a quick google search and found that those pancakes have an astounding 30 grams of sugar, which is more than the American Heart Association recommends for a full day!
So, I set out to make my own Grinch green pancakes with healthy ingredients!
These green pancakes are full of protein thanks to the almond flour and they get their beautiful color from...spinach! Each pancake is topped with a cute little strawberry heart because, let's not forget, "Well, in Whoville they say - that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day. ".
What ingredients are in green pancakes?
Just seven basic ingredients are needed for Grinch green pancakes!
- almond flour
- baking soda
- sea salt
- baby spinach
Although you might be hesitant to add spinach to the pancake batter...don't be! You can't taste it at all and the spinach is a MUCH healthier option than adding food coloring.
How do you make spinach pancakes?
Place all the ingredients (except the strawberries) into a blender and process until smooth and the pieces of spinach are no longer visible.
Heat a pan or griddle and ladle a ¼ cup of batter per pancake. Cook for about 5 minutes before gently flipping the pancake and cooking for another few minutes.
How to make strawberry hearts
Use a sharp knife to cut a V shape around the stem and remove it.
Cut the strawberry vertically, right down the middle. You'll now have two strawberry hearts! Easy right?!
Top each Grinch green pancake with a strawberry heart before serving. For a more decadent breakfast, place a big dollop of cashew cream on each pancake.
More holiday inspired recipes!
Leave a comment and star rating below if you made this recipe!
Grinch Green Pancakes
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup baby spinach, packed
- coconut oil for greasing pan or griddle
- 6 strawberries
- Place the almond flour, salt, baking soda, honey, water, eggs, and baby spinach in a blender. Process until smooth and you can no longer see pieces of spinach.
- Set a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and grease with oil. Ladle ¼ cup of batter per pancake onto the griddle. Cook for about 5 minutes before gently flipping the pancakes and cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a V around the stem of the strawberry. Remove the stem.
- Cut the strawberry in half, vertically to make 2 strawberry hearts.
- Place a strawberry heart on each pancake before serving.