This vanilla dairy free ice cream is only 5 ingredients AND it’s no churn, which means you don’t need an ice cream machine to make it! The base for this ice cream is coconut milk, while cashews add to the creamy texture. The recipe follows the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) and Paleo diet!
Hi friends! Well, I’ve been on a bit of an ice cream kick lately. Summer is quickly approaching which means 90 degree weather and 100% humidity here in Florida, so anything cool and refreshing is always appreciated.
In the past I’ve found that most dairy free ice cream I make at home turns out more icy than creamy. It’s not bad by any means, it’s just not the texture I want. So I started experimenting with different ways to make a truly creamy frozen treat. My Dairy Free Avocado Mint Ice Cream was a HUGE success. I mean, seriously, if you haven’t tried it yet I insist you do so immediately. It’s amazing.
How do you make a dairy free ice cream that’s creamy?
Many dairy free ice cream recipes use just coconut milk, but I’ve never been a fan. It’s not thick and creamy enough for me. This recipe does use coconut milk but it also uses a somewhat unexpected ingredient…cashews! Soaked cashews help thicken up this ice cream while also providing creaminess and a subtle nutty flavor!
All of the ice cream ingredients are blended in a high speed blender until nice and smooth (That’s right…this is a no churn ice cream recipe!). I would suggest blending it for at least a full minute, if not longer. This will ensure you get the smoothest, creamiest dairy free vanilla cashew ice cream.
Pour the vanilla ice cream into a loaf pan and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours to set. Allow the ice cream to sit at room temp for about 5 minutes before scooping. This ice cream is great on its own but it’s also AMAZING served on top of my Vanilla Mug Cake. You could also put some ice cream between my Pumpkin Whoopie Pie recipe or Coconut Flour Waffles to make ice cream sandwiches! Hope you enjoy!
Looking for more desserts? Try these!
Leave a comment and star rating below if you’ve tried this recipe!
Dairy Free Vanilla Cashew Ice Cream
- 13 ounces full fat canned coconut milk, shaken
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Place raw cashews in a large bowl and fill with water. Cover the bowl and allow the cashews to soak overnight or for 6 hours.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Place them in a high speed blender along with the other ingredients. Blend for at least 60 seconds. Take a sip of the liquid, if it tastes gritty, continue blending until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer 5 minutes before serving.