This cauliflower mash is the perfect low carb substitute for starchy potatoes! It’s rich, creamy, and takes less than 30 minutes to make. This SCD side dish is sure to be one of your go to recipes!
Hi friends! One of the foods I miss most while on my SCD journey is mashed potatoes. To me it is such a comfort food and while smashed cauliflower is good, I was never able to make it with the same richness and texture of potatoes. After a lot of trial and error I’ve come up with an easy mashed cauliflower recipe that satisfies my need for comforting mashed potatoes!
Thanks to the butter, romano cheese, and dry curd cottage cheese, this cauliflower mash is rich and creamy!
What is dry curd cottage cheese and why is it in this recipe?
Dry curd cottage cheese is also called farmers cheese and it’s similar to cottage cheese. The big difference is that during processing, the curd is pressed until the liquid is gone. This leaves a cheese that is mild in flavor, dry in texture, and contains only .5% lactose per serving!
The dry curd cottage cheese in this recipe adds a bit of creaminess and richness to the cauliflower. If you can’t find it in your grocery store (my local Publix carries it next to the butter), you can either leave it out or use plain yogurt instead.
How do you make cauliflower mash?
Cut the florets off of a head of cauliflower and place them in a steamer basket (if like me you don’t have one, use a colander!). In a pot or pan that fits the steamer or colander, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil over high heat.
Place the steamer basket, or colander onto the pot and cover with a lid. Decrease the heat to medium and allow to steam until it’s tender enough to easily be pierced with a fork.
Transfer the cauliflower to a blender or food processor along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth! That’s it! So simple, right?!
How do I steam cauliflower if I don’t have a colander or steamer basket?
Easy, microwave them! Place the cauliflower in a large microwave safe bowl and add just a few tablespoons of water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for five minutes. Check for softness and cook for another five minutes. Check again. If it needs more time, give the cauliflower a little stir and continue to microwave using two minute increments until the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
What do I eat mashed cauliflower with?
This side dish is amazing with SO MANY different meals!
- Cuban Picadillo
- Seared Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Mint Salsa
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- Easy Whole Roast Chicken
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
Cheesy Smashed Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower florets cut off stems
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 oz dry curd cottage cheese (also called farmers cheese) optional
- 1 Tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cut the cauliflower florets off the stems. Rinse and place in a steamer basket or colander.
- Over high heat, bring about 2 inches of water to boil in a pot or pan that can hold your steamer basket. Fit the steamer basket into the pot and cover with a lid. Drop the heat to medium. Steam cauliflower until it can be easily pierced with a fork. About 15 minutes.
- Place cauliflower, dry curd cottage cheese (optional), butter, Romano cheese, and sea salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Serve warm.