In my household we tend to eat a lot of chicken and unfortunately that can get old really quick! I’m constantly trying to mix things up with new flavors and recipes. This chicken is baked in a combination of tomatoes, mushrooms and thyme and takes no time at all to prepare.
When served with a side of my cheesy smashed cauliflower or over cooked spaghetti squash, it turns into a delicious rustic Italian feast!
Braised Italian Style Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 14 oz tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- While the oven is heating, place a large ovenproof skillet on stove over medium-high heat. Melt coconut oil in the skillet then add chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, add the mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Stir in the chicken broth. Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, then add the chopped tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and season once again with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to boiling then transfer to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.