This almond flour vanilla mug cake is just six ingredients and bakes in the microwave in under two minutes! It's a single serve dessert that's SCD, Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Occasionally I'll get a craving for cake but don't really feel like putting forth the time and effort needed to bake an entire cake.
When that happens, I make this almond flour vanilla mug cake!
It uses just a handful of ingredients, is assembled and baked in the same mug (which means minimal clean-up), is single serve, and is baked in two minutes or less!
This is seriously the perfect quick and easy dessert!
Almond Flour - Blanched finely ground almond flour will yield the best results. If you prefer coconut flour, then be sure to check out my Coconut Flour Vanilla Mug Cake!
Olive Oil - Melted (but not hot) coconut oil or butter can be used instead of the olive oil.
What type of mug is best?
A large, microwave safe mug with straight sides will help ensure the cake bakes evenly.
Also, be sure the mug has no metal or metallic paint on it or you'll have a firework show going on in your microwave!
Note: A 12 ounce or larger mug is best. If using a smaller mug, the cake might rise higher than the mug while baking. Don't worry, the cake will sink back into the mug once the microwave turns off.
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
Place the blanched finely ground almond flour into the mug along with the salt (photo 1). Add the honey, oil, vanilla extract, and egg (photo 2).
Use a fork to whisk the ingredients together, making sure to scrape the batter from the bottom edges of the mug (photo 3).
Place the mug in the center of the microwave and bake on high for one to two minutes (photo 4).
Microwaves can differ in power so you may need to play around with the cook time a bit.
In my microwave 1 minute and 45 seconds seems to be the sweet spot.
A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
If the cake is a bit rubbery in texture, that's a sign that it was baked for too long and the cook time needs to be decreased in the future.
Can the mug cake be baked in an oven?
The mug cake can be baked in the oven as long as the mug is rated as oven safe. Greased ramekins instead of a mug can also be used.
Bake at 325F for 8 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Add-ins and toppings!
This is a great base recipe for an SCD mug cake and you can add so many tasty things to the batter!
- chopped nuts
- small scoop of peanut butter
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- fresh blueberries
After the microwave mug cake has finished cooking, it can be enjoyed just as it is or it can be topped off with:
- fresh fruit
- a scoop of Vanilla Cashew Ice Cream
- a scoop of Avocado Mint Ice Cream
- a pat of butter
- Whipped Coconut Cream
- Paleo Lemon Curd
So many options, I hope you enjoy!
Try these recipes if you're craving cake!
If you’ve made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel? SUBSCRIBE to watch all of my recipe videos!
Almond Flour Vanilla Mug Cake
- ⅓ cup blanched finely ground almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (melted coconut oil can also be used)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Place the almond flour into a 12 ounce (or larger) microwave safe mug.
- Add the other ingredients to the mug and use a fork to whisk the ingredients together until well combined. Be sure scrape the bottom edges of the mug while whisking.
- Place the mug in the center of the microwave and bake on high power for 1 to 2 minutes. Each microwave is a bit different so you may want to start checking for doneness at the 1 minute mark. A fully baked cake should have a slightly firm top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Enjoy as it is or top with your choice of fruit, ice cream, whipped coconut cream, etc.
- A mug with straight sides will help ensure even baking.
- If the cake turns out rubbery in texture then it was baked for too long.
- As mentioned above, each microwave is different so start checking the cake at the 1 minute mark. In my microwave the cake takes 1 minute 45 seconds to bake to my desired texture.